Monday, July 25, 2011

Artists Supporting Artists

By now most of you know I have published my first book of "Life Poetry" titled Blueberry State of Mind, a collection of reflective truths. I was so excited to see my baby come to life. I was giddy and scared at the same time. New to this whole process I finally learned the true meaning of 'Self Publishing' and all it entailed. It literally meant once your product was produced then the promoting and marketing was left all up to you the Author. Telling everyone before hand my book was being released, many became or so they said excited and anxious to read it. As it turns out those many anxious and excited ones congratulated me but have yet to purchase the book. It was a complete eye opener but it just made me focus harder on reaching those who have yet to hear about me and my writings.

Reaching out to other Authors asking for advice (Women Authors) seem to bring the usually let me get back with you or just keep pushing through everything happens in time answer. It let me know right there that not only we as human beings, but we as fellow artist do not wish to lend support to one another. It is truly sad. Now I will admit there were some nice Authors on face book who truly gave me some good information as well as congratulating me.

I am shouting them out because they deserve it. Author April Johnson, Author Angela Murphy and Author Renda Rose, Author Justice Chikandamina, Justice Clarke, Ant Pearson of W.A.C.S. online and Author- Poet Ricardo A Owens. (I also wish to thank those of you who have purchased my book. I truly appreciate it fully. Joyce Thomas, William Blackwell, Dwayne Morgan and those who I do not know by name again thank you for believing in me, supporting my dream.) There are other Authors who congratulated me and welcomed me into the fold but none offered help or advice on more ways of promoting your book, getting your name out there. If I saw an Author had a book signing, I would ask that Author excuse me but how did you go about making this happen. Answer, none. I have reached out to book clubs introducing myself and my book to them and while yes they would befriend me on face book, none took the time to directly answer messages I sent them while all the time I would see on their pages books they read and recommended to others. Are we that far into ourselves that helping the next artist is beyond the realm of reality? I would think we 'Women Authors' would lend a helping hand.

How wrong I was.

So I grew disgusted and saddened that my book had yet to attain the status as some of the other Authors I have been researching and following. God heard a many of my prayers on this situation and seen a lot of my tears and he knew I was ready to call it quits on the promoting of my book and then it hit me. The devil is busy. You do not give up because of the pettiness of others. Yes they at one time had to ask for help and yes someone helped them and yes they have forgotten to pay it forward but you ('Me') remember to always pay it forward. I had to remind myself that I am not a "SURVIVOR" for nothing. I 'Can and Will' do this. It may take longer as I am just figuring out some things but it will happen. As my mother points out. Rome was not built in a day. So I wiped away the tears, prayed to God to release the angst in my heart towards those who only think of themselves and I kept it moving.

So I want to thank you all who have refused to answer my questions on promoting my book further.



I want to thank you for being only into you and your dreams. I want to say good luck in achieving all that you have because Missy Smith, Author of Blueberry State of Mind, a collection of reflective truths will surpass even my own expectations because I am a 'FIGHTER AND SURVIVOR' and if I can overcome abuse, a life threatening illness then I can surely overcome this. I am even more excited and amped to introduce myself to others for I am Missy Smith, writer of 'Life Poetry', Author of Blueberry State of Mind, a collection of reflective truths!

No comments:

Post a Comment